Did you know that less than a third of children in Haiti attend high school? Education is not free, and many families cannot afford to pay tuition. Each year, GOALS provides some of the brightest and most promising students in Leogane have the chance to go to school with the GOALS Dream Team scholarship program, and we need your help to cover tuition costs for the 2014-2015 school year.
Here's five reasons why you should consider making a donation to help a student in Haiti attend school:
1. Paying for a child's school tuition is one of the easiest and simplest ways anyone can make a significant impact in Haiti, even with a small donation.
2. While we wish all children in Haiti could attend school, we've committed to selecting the children with the greatest need, the strongest leadership potential and a proven dedication to working hard and making changes every day.
3. As an organization, we're dedicated to using funds wisely for the greatest impact. We didn't even have an office for the first 3 1/2 years - we worked outside and ran for cover when it rained. You might say we're cheap or perhaps "financially conservative", in other words, effective.
4. A GOALS scholarship is not actually a gift.First off, the kids work hard just to be eligible for a scholarship, then they work hard to keep it. Along with getting good grades, GOALS regularly meets with school staff to monitor their behavior and attendance. Second, students give back through service and leadership projects. For example they may lead recycling projects or beach clean-ups.
5. We're committed not just to sending kids to school, but to seeing them graduate. To be clear: our goal is not simply to send kids to school. Our goal is to build a generation of strong, capable, inspired and inspiring leaders who will create change in Haiti, starting in their own lives and within their own communities. Yes, it's as lofty, awesome, and possible as it sounds.
Not sure how much to give? Here's a rough breakdown of costs:
- $35 - School uniform
- $50 - Books for the year
- $75 - Bicycle for kids in rural areas
- $125 - Transportation for the year (some kids can't ride bikes)
- $350 - Tuition for the year
Thank you for believing in a brighter future for the children of Haiti with GOALS!